Producing a quick meal (camp food ideas) when camping is easy enough but providing a hearty meal that is simple to make with an easy clean-up is more challenging.
Tip –BBQ chickens are available widely and certainly can be found in most country towns. A BBQ chicken can be eaten hot when you buy it (mmm delicious) or let it cool and break it down into chunks for a delicious lunchtime sandwich on the road. Combine with a curry paste and some coconut milk for another delicious evening meal. You can freeze leftovers in the fridge for another day and it is just as good. Inexpensive and versatile – BBQ chicken meals are so handy.
This delicious and simple meal uses typical camping ingredients from your larder that are easily stored and transported. The key ingredient is, of course, a BBQ chicken.
One Pot Camp Chicken (Camp Food Ideas)
Camp cooking needs to be easy – easy to cook, easy to eat, easy to clean up but above all, camp cooking needs to taste great and stick to your ribs….
This great tasting recipe uses simple ingredients that will transport easily. The heart of the dish is a BBQ chicken which you can pick up along the way during your travels or pre-prepare at home by removing the meat and vacuum sealing.
Ingredients – serves 4 people
- Large onion
- Garlic 2 cloves – optional
- Cooking oil – just a bit
- A couple of small pepper packets (from Macca’s)
- A 495g can of Vegetable Soup
- A good dollop of tomato sauce
- Maggi ‘Chicken Chasseur’ recipe base
- One BBQ Chicken
- One cup of rice or half a packet of pasta – optional
- Chop the onion and optional garlic into small chunks and sweat down in a little oil in a large pot or frying pan.
- Add the soup, the recipe base, Macca’s pepper and tomato sauce and stir.
- Remove the chicken from the bones using clean fingers and the ‘pull apart method’. If you choose to include the skin, chop this up finely. Add to the pan and stir through.
- Fill the soup can with water and add to the pan stirring as you go.
- Allow to simmer (about 20 mins) while you prepare the optional rice or pasta.
We welcome your comments and suggestions on this article. Drop us an email if we can help you with more information or with hire of fridges, battery packs solar panels and our top quality camping equipment.
If you have your own favourite Camp Food Ideas recipe and you are happy to share it email me and include a picture if possible. I will make sure you get the credit.